Key Takeaways in Europe:
- The terror incidents in Europe were concentrated in rural settings of the east of both Turkey and Ukraine.
- In Ukraine, the United Armed Forces of Novorossiya, a pro-Russian separatist group, conducted a bomb attack against civilians in social spheres.
- In Turkey, all the attacks were conducted by the PKK and the PJAK, PKK’s Iran offshoot. They have targeted military units and facilities. On the other hand, it is noteworthy that the terrorist organization, which carried out various types of attacks simultaneously, carried out attacks using model planes in Diyarbakır, Batman, and Şırnak in May.
Key Takeaways in Asia:
- Terror attacks in Asia took place in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Indonesia, and the Philippines.
- Islamic fundamentalist terrorist organisations were active in Afghanistan and Pakistan. Taliban’s attacks against civilians and social spheres were concentrated in the north-western rural regions of Afghanistan. Tehrik-i Taliban in Pakistan was active along the northern Afghan-Pakistani border and they also targeted civilians and social spheres.
- Pakistan has suffered from nationalist and separatist terrorism, as well. Balochistan Liberation Army targeted security forces at various locations in the southern half of Pakistan.
- In the Philippines, New People’s Army continued its Maoist guerrilla attacks against security forces. The armed reaction was the most preferred type of engagement, however, assassination against a political figure was also utilized.
- Indonesia also suffered from nationalist separatist terrorism. All the attacks were conducted in rural regions against military units in the Papua region of Indonesia by the West Papua National Liberation Army.
Key Takeaways in Middle East:
- The terror attacks in the Middle East occurred in Syria and Iraq. The incidents are concentrated at the northern side of both countries above their capitals, Damascus and Baghdad. Both countries suffer from ethnic separatist and Islamic fundamentalist terrorism at the same time.
- In Iraq, the PKK has conducted a variety of attacks, which mainly targeted military units along the border with Turkey. In addition to this, it is visible that the PKK has increased its utilization of UCAV attacks since it began using them in the previous month.
- The DAESH was active in the rural territories between Mosul and Baghdad by targeting military units.
- In Syria, the YPG, the Syrian branch of the PKK, was active along the Turkish border and the DAESH was active in the inner region of Syria between YPG and Damascus.
- The attack types and targets are manifold in both states, however, the data shows that civilians and social spheres were targeted with higher percentages in Syria.
Key Takeaways in South America:
- FARC and ELN, both left-wing terrorist organisations, were active in the rural regions of Colombia and targeted security forces.
- All attacks have occurred as armed reactions in rural regions at the north and south of the capital Bogota. The locations where attacks occurred also correspond to the contact areas between the territory under the influence of these terrorist organisations and the territory under the full control of the legitimate government.
Key Takeaways in Africa:
- Africa suffered the highest number of attacks; ergo, it suffered the highest number of casualties in terms of lethality and kidnappings. Furthermore, it is the only region that suffered from kidnappings in this month.
- Terror attacks in Africa were gathered in three distinct zones as the West Sahel Region, the Sinai Peninsula, and the Horn of Africa.
- 84.12% of the attacks took place in rural settings and all the urban attacks took place in Somalia.
- Mainly Islamic fundamentalist terrorist groups were active in the region except for Dan Na Ambassagou, which is an ethnic Dogon terrorist organisation.
- Al-Shabaab was the sole responsible terrorist organisation in the Horn of Africa. Their activities were mainly concentrated in urban Mogadishu and rural settings surrounding it. A significant amount of their attacks targeted security forces and their most preferred ways of engagement were armed reactions and IED attacks.
- In the west Sahel Region, attacks were concentrated at rural border zones. It is hard to determine a dominant attack type. A variety of attacks were utilized, however, civilians and social spheres were targeted the most in the region. Additionally, the West Sahel Region was the sole place in which all the kidnappings occurred. Boko Haram, Dan Na Ambassagou, Nusrat al-Islam (JNIM), and Islamic State West Africa Province resorted to kidnapping, mainly.
- DAESH undertook all the terror attacks in the Sinai Peninsula and they mainly targeted military units with a variety of attack types.